Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Our Run in the Happiest Place on Earth!



Last weekend John, Aunt Linda, and myself competed in the Inaugural Disney Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon. 
  Unlike a typical race where you have to drag yourself out of bed at pre-dawn hours, this race didn't start until 10:00 p.m., finishing with an after-party at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.  Running at night brought up entirely new challenges...What do I eat? Do I take a nap? Should I still have my usual cop of coffee?  By the way, your feet are different sizes at 10:00 at night so they start to swell (especially after 2 1/2 hours of waiting to start the race-We had to be there by 7:30) so even your shoes fit differently when running, thus the reason John and my feet started cramping the first few miles into the race.  Even with all of these questions and cramping we managed to have a wonderful time and a somewhat decent 2 hour 18 minute race time.
 Aunt Linda with her running buddies Betsy and Tim
 John and I posing for the camera working through pre-race jitters!
 Aside from the Disney pre-race entertainment, runners provided some laughs and surprises with their attire. Disney characters were the most represented – tons of princesses and fairies. A couple on their honeymoon dressed as bride and groom and another couple dressed as a runaway bride and groom.  This was one of our favorites-"The Hangover" and the White Rabbit of "Alice in Wonderland"!



Runners also provided much inspiration. The race beneficiary, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, had their Team in Training out in force.  I can't tell you how many young (meaning my age or younger) that I saw running with SURVIVOR printed on their shirt.  It made me proud to be running a race for such a great cause!
 Pre-Race pose with Chef Mickey

From the starting gate at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, we headed to Animal Kingdom where we looped around the Tree of Life and Mount Everest. Then we headed to Hollywood Studios, past the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and across the Lights, Motors, Action stage. Finally we passed the Yacht & Beach Club resorts that lead through the International Gateway entrance to Epcot… and finally, the finish line.


 Disney has live music, parade floats, costumed stilt walkers and characters such as Chip & Dale, Green Army Men from “Toy Story” and The Hippo and Ostrich Ballerinas from Fantasia offering encouragement. They were all available to take pictures with or just to offer a laugh.  I brought my camera along during the race because I intended on taking pictures on the way.  Unfortunately, it became more of an effort to focus on not tripping on the thousands of people around us than taking pictures but I did manage to capture a few shots.

 Race Day Packet Pick Up
 11,000 racers-We were packed in like Sardines!
Mickey Cheering us on at the Starting Line
My favorite scene in Hollywood Studios
Christmas in October!
Mile 13!  Almost done!


The tag line for this race was “Run around the parks. Dine around the world.” As we waited for the race to start at Wide World of Sports, the  MCs described some of the food offered at the Finish Line Party (10:30 p.m. – 3 a.m.). Our mouths were watering as we thought about the finish line food!  We decided to wait for our dinner to avoid stomach distress, but after only 1/2 a Cliff bar, we were starving by 10:00 pm.  The good news for us was after the race we would have a whole world of food waiting for us! Runners were given coupons for a complimentary “sip” and “taste.” And honestly, I thought I would need to break out my wallet so I could try even more of the tasty concoctions.


The food they described sounded fabulous. The thought of having a fancy drink to celebrate our finish seemed ideal.  Of course 13.1 miles later, as I crossed the finish line, those thoughts had completely evaporated. My goal: To go home, shower and crawl into bed.  John enjoyed food from Brazil and South Africa and I enjoyed a frozen Cappuccino as my stomach didn't end up thinking that any food after 13.1 miles would be a good idea much less exotic food from countries around the world!

John in Epcot - We made it!!
John and I post race in front of Asia
A Closer View of the Inaugural Wine and Dine Medal
 We wore them proudly!

This 1/2 Marathon weekend was so much fun!  John and I are already talking about our next race.  I think I have him hooked :)  We are thinking maybe a Rock N Roll race sometime next year...maybe Vegas!  You are all invited-Just let us know!

FYI We disembarked the Carnival Dream the morning of this race. There was too much to write about tonight but I will post pictures and vacation details soon!

2 comments:

  1. You guys are awesome! If I were to ever run that far (probably will never happen in my life), that looks like a fun place to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am impressed Malinda...running a half marathon after a week on a cruise? I'd die.
    You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete