Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Rivalry

Many of you know that John and I share one fundamental difference in our marriage. We are a house divided. I cheer for the "good guys" (KU) and John's allegiance lies with the "bad guys" in purple (KState). Although both schools are in Kansas this has presented us with quite a challenge over the last few years. Every football season has to be mapped out in July to determine which weekend we will be in Lawrence and which weekend we will be in Manhattan. Because we love each other (and we would both throw a fit otherwise) we typically cheer on each other's teams…There is only one day during the football season where Crimson and Blue do not mix to make Purple…and that day happens to be the KU vs. K-State Rivalry Game Day.

Every year we look forward to the big rivalry game even though it HAS caused a few martial disturbances. Except for my immediate family, and my cousin Monica and Marc, my entire extended family are Wildcats. This year John and I made our way to my very "purple" Aunt and Uncle's house for the game weekend in Manhattan. I had a good feeling about the game so I didn't let the overwhelming K-State numbers worry me. KU Football was supposed to be great this year!! .....

Long story short, both teams really stunk and K-State ended up pulling out a victory. The upside for me was getting to see most of my family and friends!  The upside for John was the victory…and oh yeah…he bet my dad that if K-State won he would have to do the Willy the Wildcat push-ups and K-S-U Chant out in the parking lot (Sorry I didn't make it out in time to catch this with my camera!). Poor dad…..he was really counting on KU winning and John leading the Rock Chalk Chant!
There is no doubt that the rivalry game will continue to be interesting year after year. Jr has both KU and K-State apparel waiting for him in his closet….I personally think KU should have priority since he has been kicking me, not John, for the last 8 1/2 months…what do you think??


Travis, Annie, Kaitlyn, John, Me



Katherine Grace & Benjamin



Kaitlyn, John, Me


Cade and Megan Stomping on the "Ucky Bird"



She looks just like her Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment