Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My First Marathon!

It's official...I'm addicted! I loved running this marathon with one of my best friends Shannon.  Her 40th birthday was the inspiration for our madness, and while we both blame each other for involving one another, I think that we both had a great time completing our 1st Marathon together.  We finished our first half marathon together in Lawrence in April 2009.  Two years later, we lost our sanity and decided to aim higher and check off the 26.2 from our laundry list of things to do! 
The training was difficult to manage with John traveling so much to Canada, but I did it, and it feels good! Thank you to the Stephen family (esp Keith) for helping manage your 5 kiddos as well as Ethan to accomodate Shannon and my long Saturday and Wednesday runs! 
Shannon and I could have done without the 30-40 MPH wind gusts (literally pulled my contacts out of my eyes) and freezing cold weather on race day, and I am certain Shannon would have preferred that her calf not tear in half at mile 12 BUT we made it.  I can't believe her strength!  To this day she is not completly healed but she fought 14.2 miles of pain and frustration to finish and she finished strong. The family and friend support was great (Thank you Ethan, Mom, Dad, Carrie, Mike, & Caroline for coming to watch and THANK YOU Hailey and Madison for helping to run Shannon and I across the finish line!). I'm so glad it didn't rain and it wasn't hot.  Thanks again to everyone for your support!
The goal this time-FINISH.  Mission accomplished!
5 Hours 13 Minutes









No comments:

Post a Comment